17 August 2005

GRASS

I had a good consultation session with my mentor last Saturday and I got great advise for my thesis. I'm planting my foot on GIS and applications, but the whole gamut of GIS is fairly large so I had to zero in on what I really wanted to focus on. Future research prospects on GIS led me to look up Geographic Resources Analysis Support System, commonly referred to as GRASS. It's so cool because for starters, it's GPLed, and it will run on PostgreSQL. It's primarily designed for Linux so I need to have Cygwin run on the host that I will be using to interface with our Linux and non-Linux backends.

In a nutshell, my thesis will be concentrating on GIS and data warehouse integration. Should there be an existing or current data warehouse for me to work on, I should be able to model the integration, using the appropriate schema. Should there be no data warehouse, I will have to model from scratch and present and enforce the design.

No comments: